Welcome to Employment with the Department of Corrections
In preparation for your FIRST DAY…
On your FIRST DAY
- Bring original employment eligibility documents (See Step 1, above)
- Be ready to provide, complete and/or update the following information:
- Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) – The attached list of acceptable documentation (i.e., driver’s license, social security card, passport, etc.) will be required for verification.
- Social Security Card – Bring your original social security card for payroll processing.
- W4 Information – W-4 Filing Status (single, married or married filing at higher single rate); Number of Allowances (dependents); Additional tax (amount) to be withheld (optional); W-5 Filing Status (if applicable).
- Direct Deposit Information – Is a condition of employment and must be submitted within thirty (30) calendar days after your employment date. Information needed to initiate direct deposit includes: bank or financial institution routing number, account number and the type of account (checking or savings).
- Emergency Contact Information – Names and contact information (address and/or phone numbers) for individuals to be notified in case of an emergency during work hours.
- Insurance – If enrolling in Family Coverage, you will need a copy of your marriage certificate and birth certificate for your eligible dependents (children only).
- Photo Identification – Identification will be required for entry into a secure correctional facility (i.e, institution, etc.). Acceptable photo identifications are current driver’s license, military ID card or other
Within 30 DAYS
- All newly hired staff are required to complete New Employee Orientation training within 30 days of employment or prior to initial job assignment for employees assigned to Community Corrections or a correctional institution.
Within 60 DAYS
- Review Benefits Information – State Pre-Tax | DC Post-Tax
- You should meet with your manager to discuss office operations and performance expectations
- Receive position-specific training
- Know time reporting responsibilities
- Secure business cards & other needed supplies
- Meet with other staff & departments as necessary
The Florida Department of Corrections is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Certain veterans and spouses of veterans receive preference in employment by the state as provided by Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, and are encouraged to apply.